Media Future Critical Analysis

When we were briefed on what we should aim for in this documentary, my group and I had ideas and we work on eliminating some of the bad ones out. Things were still very unsure, until we were given the name of the person who worked in the media industry introduced by Mr Dominic to help us out. This certainly makes thing easier as we started to research on our interviewee James Dalby, though his website and other miscellaneous websites to find out more about him.

It turns out that he had worked for BBC as Editor Assistant and is also an a sort of engineer who build gadgets such as the a slow-mo camera slider useful for time lapses that can be controlled. Although it is still a prototype, it has so far work pretty well. Thus we began to plan out how to include this gadget into the interview questions regarding his jobs and his opinion of Bristol Media Industry.

Each of us contributed to personal questions that we could use for the interview. Meetings were held almost evert week to make sure each of us was updated with the latest development. Sometimes, we also updated some stuff on our own facebook group to inform others necessary informations like timing of shootings or meetings.
My group members were very active, everyday the facebook would be filled with discussion. There was once one of these discussions change the original planning that we had as we feel that it was better and more in line with the theme.

My group was one of the earliest to complete the interview in the library. Each os us did our roles, the producer called up the interviewee, arranged the meetings etc, while the director prepared the equipments and finalised the questions to make sure we can create a smooth flowing documentary. The rest of us set up the scenes using library lights, I also did the sound recording using Tascam from the sides, and one of us used his own DSLR to take different shots of the interview process.

Post production was met with some hiccups as some of us were busy with the SISE projects and thus were unable to turn up. We also came across problems with AVID and instead revert back to Premiere Pro and edited the clips in one of our member’s studio room as we could not book out the computer in school. However, we did manage to find time to decide on the sounds, images or other videos needed to enhance the documentary.

There were some extra shots we took in-between editing when we realised we were short of usable or relevant clips. We would then met up at the place using our own equipment to shoot them before adding them into the next editing process. Overall, everything went well without much of a problem, with the exception of long absence of some members.

My thoughts on the completed products are that I think we could do more, especially after seeing other groups’ documentary, ours is a bit bland and boring. I realised that we did not dare to change the style of it, unlike the rest. Though ours is one of the most informative, which I am glad it achieved this, but it is also one of the most normal, with no new creativity added to it. I feel that we should be more experimental and willing to risk, which I believe will be essential to make our clip stands out more.

Aside from this, some of the roles are mixed and not really clear on who should be doing what other than the major roles. This caused some of us to do too little or do too much, which is quite troublesome and unfair. I will take note of this to make sure that it will not happen, or less likely to happen in the future for my projects/group projects.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s